A place where I can write about anything that's intriguing my mind. Mostly on military aviation, politics & technology.

Tutorial: Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery On Noir A8

Posted: October 29th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Android | 84 Comments »

I’ve successfully ported the clockworkmod recovery (CWM) to QMobile Noir A8 — Now you can enjoy the benefits of having a custom recovery which can make full nandroid backup i.e backup your ROM, Data etc and can use it later on to restore your phone to working condition in case something goes wrong while flashing custom ROMs/kernels.

I had to first extract the stock ROM, recovery, boot partition etc of the QMobile Noir A8. Then made this particular CWM version 6.0.1.2 from stock Noir A8 recovery and a CWM for V970 MT6577 using Android Kitchen. Thanks to yuweng from xda forum for providing the porting plugin for Android Kitchen and bgcngm for V970 recovery!

Although you can backup your Noir A8 ROM using this CWM, still for getting the stock ROM .img file, stock recovery etc, I’ll post the procedure later.

Steps To Install ClockWorkMod Recovery On QMobile Noir A8:

WARNING: Do NOT perform the procedure if you have NO idea why you’re doing this. Doing something wrong CAN brick your phone, so please make sure you follow exactly. If you mess up something, I will NOT responsible for it.

**Your phone must already be rooted! Check this thread to root your device first**

1) Download THIS file. Extract all files somewhere, e.g D:\noir. You will get 3 folders: “MT6577 USB VCOM drivers”, “recovery_files” and “SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1224.01″

2) Installation of VCOM driver: Even if you have already installed VCOM drivers, install these as well as they’re must. Run InstallDriver.exe to install. Then turn OFF your phone, connect with USB cable and drivers will get installed automatically.

3) Open SP_Flash_Tool* folder and run Flash_tool.exe. Click on Scatter-loading button, navigate to recovery_files folder which you extracted and select “MT6577_Android_scatter_emmc.txt”. Click OK and ignore if any errors come up.

4) Make sure ONLY RECOVERY IS CHECKED! All other entries must be unchecked. Your SP Flash Tool should look something like this:

QMobile Noir A8 clockworkmod recovery

QMobile Noir A8 clockworkmod recovery using SP Flash Tool

5)Turn off your device. Remove the battery and reinsert after few seconds. Do NOT turn on the device yet.

6)Click the Download button in Smart Phone Flash Tool. Now connect your Noir A8 while still in off state.

7)It will be detected in SP Flash tool, a red bar will progress to 100%. Then it will ask to connect cable in 12 seconds but DO NOT remove the cable or do anything. Just let the timer finish, it will again show progress bar and at the end you will get a small window with green circle.

That means the recovery was successfully flashed ! Congrats you did the job :P

In Case Of Errors When You Press Download & Connect Phone:

If you’re getting errors like BROM DL_ALL failed, then follow this procedure, which will flash recovery to all MTK phones without SP Flash Tool:

1. Download the script <a href=”http://www.mediafire.com/?03zwfy9cyfzukqp” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”>from here.</a> and extract somewhere.
  2. Three recoveries are pre-included. Rename the one for your phone to recovery.img
  3. Set phone to USB Debugging mode from developer options and connect to PC, or start it in recovery mode.
  4. Then run the file named flashit.bat

If any errors occur like phone not detected, your ADB drivers are NOT installed. So install MT6577 / MT6575 drivers properly.

Few things:

• To go in the recovery mode of Noir A8, hold down volume UP and power button. Release when the logo appears.
  • For backup, you should have at least 1GB free on SD card. Go to backups/restore and make a backup. You should get the folder clockworkmod on your SD card with 2 sub folders in it. (backup and blobs).
  • I have tried the backup so far and it successfully makes the backup. Haven’t tried the restore functionality YET so please either wait for confirmation OR you can try to test the restore on your own and report here :)  UPDATE: Restore works too as per user reports. So this is a fully functional recovery for Noir A8! :)

84 Comments on “Tutorial: Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery On Noir A8”

1. 1 Adeel said at 1:22 pm on October 29th, 2012:

i was getting error check if xml 6 installed

i installed it from microsoft.com now errror gone

2. 2 wasif said at 7:10 pm on October 29th, 2012:

please share now ur stock rom of noir A8

3. 3 Waleed Durrani said at 11:05 am on October 30th, 2012:

Thank You! Worked Flawlessly :)

4. 4 Ehtisham said at 3:02 pm on October 31st, 2012:

wasif, the ROM images have a big size so not easy to upload. You can dump own ROM easily via the script I told you about. Let me know if you still want the procedure…

5. 5 Ehtisham said at 3:02 pm on October 31st, 2012:

Waleed, glad it did! :)

6. 6 wasif said at 12:11 am on November 1st, 2012:

try to upload it on dropbox

7. 7 M Junaid said at 1:10 pm on November 7th, 2012:

does restore also working???
    thanx

8. 8 Ehtisham said at 4:26 pm on November 7th, 2012:

@Junaid, it should work, as it makes full correct backup without problem too.

@wasif, alright I’ll upload boot, recovery and system partition.. can’t upload my own data partition as this phone stores IMEI there…

9. 9 M Junaid said at 11:48 am on November 8th, 2012:

wanna knw one thing bro…if ever Qmobile releases update…wud this CWM interrupt the update of it’ll n all fine???
    thanx

10. 10 M Junaid said at 11:50 am on November 8th, 2012:

will CWM interrupt the update or it’ll b all fine?

11. 11 Ehtisham said at 5:00 pm on November 8th, 2012:

Depends on what sort of update QMobile release (IF ANY!!). But there shouldn’t be a problem. Even if it arise, you can always flash stock recovery so nothing to worry.

12. 12 M Junaid said at 5:32 pm on November 8th, 2012:

Thanx alot bro…

13. 13 Salman said at 8:04 pm on November 8th, 2012:

Got a6, need to install CWM on it, its a MT6575 Chipset, i need a guide to extract the stock recovery and rom, please email the details or post here

14. 14 SALMAN said at 10:20 pm on November 8th, 2012:

I have noir a6 need a custom recovery like that. Can you help me with the process ? I would be really grateful. My chip set is MT6575

15. 15 Ehtisham said at 2:25 am on November 9th, 2012:

Salman, yes you can dump the stock ROM/recovery using this script: http://ge.tt/8GDGDrE/v/92
    But you need to be rooted first..

16. 16 Salman said at 4:34 pm on November 9th, 2012:

I could not get the script to run through GScript Lite, please guide as to how its going to be possible, also what to do next after i dump the rom, how to make a recovery for my a6? you can email with the details if you want

17. 17 dhruve said at 1:29 am on November 10th, 2012:

how to select Scatter-loading to scatter file
    whare is file

18. 18 Ehtisham said at 2:21 am on November 10th, 2012:

Salman how come the script didn’t run? can tell details/error msgs? After dumping the recovery, you need to use one plugin that’s made for “Android Kitchen” and some other CWM recovery for some other device based on MT6575.. I’ll post/email the details later but you’ll have to Google a little too :)

19. 19 Ehtisham said at 2:25 am on November 10th, 2012:

@dhruve, have you downloaded the file in Step 1) ?

It has a folder “recovery_files”. There you can find “MT6577_Android_scatter_emmc.txt” file. Load it in SP Tools..

BUT do you have this particular set? because the values are different for different MT6577 phones due to partition sizes..

20. 20 mobeen said at 7:28 pm on November 13th, 2012:

guys do backup ur roms today.i had a horrible situation after messing up with my firmware.the stock roms of other popular devices like samsung,htc are available on internet but qmobile has no stock roms available to download.ehtisham was so kind when i talked him about my problem.thanks Ehtisham for such a nice n quick feedback.

21. 21 Ehtisham said at 11:15 pm on November 13th, 2012:

Glad you recovered :) & no problem dude!

22. 22 Muhammad Bilal said at 8:53 am on November 14th, 2012:

Bro can u give me guide link to dump stock rom

23. 23 Qasir said at 11:24 am on November 15th, 2012:

Hi dear Ehtesham I have noir a6. Can u help me how to root? I will b thankful to u.

24. 24 M Junaid said at 11:36 am on November 15th, 2012:

hey bro…i followed ur instructions to install CWM n till tat RED status bar it was fine… but den..i waited like couple of mins but i didnt see it asked to disconnect where we dnt really need to disconnect…n didnt see any green box… n after tat… i went to check recovery n it was still same… any ideas?
    thanx

25. 25 M Junaid said at 1:34 pm on November 15th, 2012:

Yeyyy !!! Done !! got the CWM installed n backed up the rom…
    thanx !!!

26. 26 Ehtisham said at 5:45 pm on November 15th, 2012:

Congrats ! :P :D always keep a backup before trying cwm flashable apps/mods :)

27. 27 Ehtisham said at 5:47 pm on November 15th, 2012:

@Muhammad Bilal: you can use the following script using GScript Lite to dump current ROM to sdcard:

Root first.

28. 28 Bilal said at 7:23 pm on November 16th, 2012:

Aoa everyone, can some one kind enough to upload the stock rom somewhere like in mediafire, i rooted my a8 and uninstalled many unnecessary apps (although i am not having any trouble now) but still i needed a backup just in case i messed up in the future… thanks in advance…

29. 29 Ehtisham said at 8:45 pm on November 16th, 2012:

I’ll upload the system partition, boot.img and recovery.img… that will help you recover using sp flash tool if you haven’t flashed cwm via above procedure…

Can’t upload /data as it has the folder /data/nvram which contains your IMEI… so using ES File explore keep a backup of /data/nvram in PC.

30. 30 kamii said at 1:21 am on November 17th, 2012:

it would be great if you made one video from the starting to the end for installing the rom and backing up the stock. i will be thankfull. i bricked my phone previously so please have some video ..

31. 31 Adeel Raj said at 2:13 am on November 17th, 2012:

yaar on my previous noir a8 i successfully installed cwm with ur given
    method but i sold those noir and bought new one.
    Now i have rooted it successfully and want to install cwm on it but it always giving me error
    like in given screenshot

my contact no is 03368152659 plz contact me ehtisham

32. 32 Bilal said at 4:49 pm on November 17th, 2012:

I am exactly having the same issue as Adeel Raj posted..

33. 33 ADEEL RAj said at 4:59 pm on November 17th, 2012:

just installed cwm with different method successfully and made backup
    @Bilal
    use method given below to install cwm with alternate method.

install mtk mobile uncle tools from market
    and then copy the recovery.img
    from cwm_ehtisham.com/recovery files
    to root of sd card
    then open mobile uncle tools and click on recovery update then it will search for recovery and u will see will recovery.img choose that
    and then it will ask u to use this recovery click yes
    and then it will ask to reboot in recovery choose no
    then close uncle mobile tools and reboot ur device and press power button and volume up button then u will get into recovery
    thnx and pray for me..

34. 34 Bilal said at 5:37 pm on November 17th, 2012:

Thanks Adeel, it worked, now we have CWM recovery, now i hope some developers uses ICS source code and and build custom roms based on JB, it would be wonderful :)

35. 35 Ahmed Ali Shah said at 8:05 pm on November 19th, 2012:

Ehtisham Bhai, you are doing a wonderful job and I appreciate it. I have a question that in case if I want to restore the factory settings how would I do this after installing CWM? Because after installing CWM on Noir A8 when I tried to restore the factory settings then recovery loops. However, after installing CWM again, my Noir A8 was restored from backup and boots perfectly. So I want to know how to revert to factory recovery? Thanks

36. 36 Ehtisham said at 10:18 pm on November 19th, 2012:

@Kamii, video might not be possible from my side soon :/ requires time =\

@Adeel Raj: Not sure why that error appeared.. you had all the files in that folder including preloader? Still, glad the alternate method worked :)

37. 37 Ehtisham said at 10:25 pm on November 19th, 2012:

@Bilal: compiling from source is not much of a problem, but we need device specific libraries and drivers for hardware to work properly.. MTK has not released any :S :/

@Ahmed Ali Shah: Did you perform factory reset from inside phone (settings) ? Try to perform “wipe data/factory reset” from CWM recovery..

Bootloop after factory reset I’ve seen in many cases once the phone is rooted/have custom recovery.. e.g in HTC Explorer…

You can flash the stock recovery.img using SP Flash tool… the same way you flashed cwm..

I have the stock recovery.img, will upload it… just give me some time stuck in uni & exams :S

38. 38 mobeen said at 9:39 pm on November 20th, 2012:

cant get a perfect screen protector for a8 :( ….anyone??

39. 39 Adnan said at 12:21 pm on November 21st, 2012:

AOA ehtisham very good tutorial can u please upload the stock recovery.img so that we r safe incase something bad happen
    Thanks Bro

40. 40 Ahmed Ali Shah said at 1:38 am on November 23rd, 2012:

Thanks Ehtisham Bhai for reply. I will be grateful if you kindly upload the stock recovery files. By the way have you seen this site? I hope you should have but in case not, here it is.http://www.gionee.net/id-159_op-productPho.shtml I hope you will like it if you havent been there. Thanks

41. 41 Ahzam said at 6:33 pm on November 23rd, 2012:

works great thanks :)

42. 42 Ehtisham said at 5:59 pm on November 24th, 2012:

Will upload the stock recovery.img and procedure of how to backup stock ROM of noir A8 tonight..

43. 43 Noir A8 Stock Recovery said at 3:59 pm on November 25th, 2012:

[...] the post on CWM Recovery for Noir A8, some people asked me to post the stock recovery of Noir A8. Well here it is, it’s the one I [...]

44. 44 Ehtisham said at 6:20 pm on November 25th, 2012:

Stock recovery and procedure to flash it has been posted. Check out the above comment :)

45. 45 Hammad said at 9:50 am on December 1st, 2012:

Hey Ehtisham,

I am in urgent need of your help, I installed Font installer and after installing a font I pressed reboot button and after that my cell is stuck in a boot loop, it goes to lockscreen and after that restarts.

Hopefully I created a backupv2 from that script and saved it to my hdd. All I need is now the method to restore it.

I have wiped data/factory settings but it is of no use.

Awaiting your reply,
    Thanks.

46. 46 Ehtisham said at 7:57 pm on December 1st, 2012:

Good thing is you have the backup so you can recover it as well hopefully. Did you make any backup from inside CWM? If yes, open CWM recovery, goto backup and restore -> restore.

If you don’t have any CWM backup,
    Follow the exact same procedure of flashing custom recovery.img like posted above! BUT this time don’t select recovery.img

Perform step1 and step2.
    Place the file “system.img” and “data.img” from backup_v2 folder to “recovery_files” folder you get in step1
    Do step 3
    In step 4, select ONLY Android (system.img) and usrdata (data.img). EVERYTHING ELSE MUST BE UNCHECKED!!

All other steps are same…

47. 47 Ahzam said at 4:20 pm on December 2nd, 2012:

Hey Ehtisham do you know how to go to download in noir A8

48. 48 Ahzam said at 4:20 pm on December 2nd, 2012:

Hey Ehtisham do you know how to go to download mode in noir A8

49. 49 Ehtisham said at 8:17 pm on December 2nd, 2012:

Recovery mode? What are you trying to accomplish

50. 50 Ahzam said at 1:53 am on December 3rd, 2012:

Ehtisham i am trying to do nexus rom on it cuz noir a8 rom is now recognized by the softwares but i am stuck on it it is said that go in download mode so i tried different ways but couldn’t succeed

51. 51 Ehtisham said at 10:45 pm on December 3rd, 2012:

Google Nexus’s ROM on A8? Please don’t do that. It will brick your device. Though you can recover back if you have CWM and already made a nandroid backup…

Currently there’s no custom ROM for A8. No need for download mode, ROMs can be flashed using CWM recovery or SP flash tool.

52. 52 fajoo24 said at 8:10 pm on December 6th, 2012:

Hi Ehtisham,

you mentioned that you have successfully backed up stock rom of noir a8 for recovery purpose. Can you please upload it somewhere or have you already uploaded it somewhere?

Secondly, can that rom be flash used stock recovery of noir a8, if required?

Thanks

53. 53 Ehtisham said at 9:14 am on December 7th, 2012:

Yeah i’ll upload it, system and data images are large so load shedding is a hindrance in their upload:/

Yes stock recovery can be flashed back. Check out: http://www.labandroid.com/qmobile/2012/11/noir-a8-stock-recovery/

And you can also backup your ROM using:http://www.labandroid.com/qmobile/2012/11/how-to-backup-stock-rom-of-noir-a8/

54. 54 UMAIR said at 11:45 am on December 11th, 2012:

I SUCCESSFULLY PORTED CWM 6.0.1.2 RECOVERY FOR QMOBILE NOIR “A6″

55. 55 Ehtisham said at 1:31 pm on December 11th, 2012:

Cool. Can you post a link to recovery.img? Will ask more people to test and share it as a post.

56. 56 Javed Siddique said at 8:00 am on December 25th, 2012:

Dear Sir
    I have a8 and is it possible to replace its current system with jelly bean

57. 57 Ehtisham said at 12:27 am on December 26th, 2012:

@Javed Siddique, NO. Not unless QMobile releases an update.

58. 58 Ghufran said at 11:52 pm on December 27th, 2012:

Salamz,

This is my first Android cell phone (A8), so I don’t have much idea about it.
    Once I backuped the user data by pressing (volume keys and lock) buttons.
    I found out rooting mobile afterwords, and I guess I messed a little while playing with it.
    Can I still backup original rom using the backup I made before, or if I could get its image people talking about from anywhere.

Thanx a lot,
    I really loved ur page while surfing to get ma problem solved

59. 59 Ehtisham said at 4:20 pm on December 29th, 2012:

@Ghufran: Did you backup the userdata from stock recovery or this CWM recovery mentioned in this post?

And what exactly you messed up? If modified system files and backup is from stock recovery, then you can’t restore it.

Yes original ROM is available incase you mess up something.. but you need above CWM recovery for it.

60. 60 meesam said at 12:03 pm on January 3rd, 2013:

Asalam-o-alaikum Ehtisham,
    Can i update Q Mobile A-10 on jelly bean?

61. 61 Ehtisham said at 9:36 pm on January 3rd, 2013:

No. Not yet at least.

62. 62 Ghufran said at 4:48 pm on January 9th, 2013:

Thanx Ehtisham,
    well i used the stock recovery for backup,
    anyways didnt mess much.
    thanx for the recovery images u uploaded.

but i am unable to make clockwordmod recovery.
    after the redbar goes to 100%, nthing happens next.

63. 63 Bilal shaikh said at 2:41 am on January 14th, 2013:

yaar… wat iz rooting… and why we are doing this…
    ???

64. 64 Ehtisham said at 12:09 pm on January 21st, 2013:

@Ghufran,
    Stock recovery only backs up userdata. It’s not of help in case you mess something with your ROM/system files..

You need to install drivers properly to make it work..

65. 65 Ehtisham said at 12:10 pm on January 21st, 2013:

@Bilal shaikh,
    for modification of system files, adding tweaks and optimizations, and some apps require root e.g VPN apps n customization apps.

66. 66 Roshan said at 4:32 pm on January 22nd, 2013:

as u said that at the end you will get a small window with green circle. it didnt came

67. 67 syed ahmed shah said at 6:49 pm on February 1st, 2013:

plz help me i do all steps but on 6th step the bar doesnot go to 100% it gives error i am using noir A10

68. 68 Ehtisham said at 1:25 pm on February 2nd, 2013:

The drivers are not properly installed it seems. Remove the related drivers from device manager and then freshly install. Or try it on another PC/laptop.

69. 69 Omar said at 9:32 pm on February 3rd, 2013:

BROM ERROR:S_FT_DOWNLOAD_ALL_FAIL (4050)
    image:

What can i do ?!
    my system Windows 7 x64
    and the A8 rooted

70. 70 Osama said at 2:22 pm on February 5th, 2013:

please somebody go into your system folder, inside system folder there is lib folder. i desperately need the lib folder to bring my camera to life. the folder is very small. please anybody share your lib folder

71. 71 Ehtisham said at 3:34 pm on February 8th, 2013:

@Omar: what scatter are you using ? Try it using a different USB port or PC.

72. 72 Ehtisham said at 3:35 pm on February 8th, 2013:

@Osama: I’ve uploaded the whole system partition here: labandroid.com/qmobile/noir-a8/2012/12/noir-a8-stock-rom-prerooted/ . Download it, it has the lib folder as well. For more queries please use that site.

73. 73 Mohammad said at 10:53 pm on February 19th, 2013:

Based on the posts here, i had tried to install CWM via the method proposed above. the problem is that im using the same scatter that has been uploaded here but keep on getting error 4050 same snapshot as provided earlier by someone over here.

how can that be solved my phones off and i dont have any way of opening it back up.

74. 74 Mohammad said at 6:11 pm on February 21st, 2013:

Ehtisham bhai, ive posted my comment a while back?? could u please get back to me.. my phones completely off and i dont know what to do anymore

75. 75 Ehtisham said at 5:27 pm on February 22nd, 2013:

@Mohammad: Sorry for the late reply.

Does it open to stock recovery ? You’ll need to try a few things

76. 76 Arslan Ahmad said at 5:52 pm on February 22nd, 2013:

Ihtisham it says could not open COM 3. need help here :(

77. 77 Mohammad said at 8:50 pm on February 22nd, 2013:

yes it opens stock recovery on boot “stock recovery 3e” is there a possibility i can recover using this stock recovery???

78. 78 Ehtisham said at 10:35 pm on February 22nd, 2013:

@Mohammad: You have A8? Do this:
    1) Restart phone in stock recovery and connect with cable to PC. Make sure your ADB drivers are installed.
    2) Download THIS zip file n extract. In the flashrecovery folder, run the file “flashit.bat”.

Does it get flashed? Show script’s output here..

@Arslan: Install USB VCOM drivers properly

79. 79 Mohammad said at 10:59 pm on February 22nd, 2013:

Emailing you a snapshot of what I got Ehtisham bhai. (ehtisham@ehtisham.com)

80. 80 Arslan Ahmad said at 3:43 pm on February 23rd, 2013:

thnx Ehtisham worked out gr8. Can u post a detailed rocedure on how to flash the stock recovery

81. 81 adnan said at 2:12 am on February 27th, 2013:

salam Ehtisham bhai. mere pass noir a6 hey. bhai isski screen k nechey Jo 3 button hain unki lights hr waqat on rehti hey. plz help me. rooted mobile hey mere pass. recovery.img b use Kia but koi fark nahi para. plz help…. waiting ur answer…

82. 82 Arslan Ahmad said at 2:14 pm on March 6th, 2013:

I wnted to that can i install custom roms for samsung s2 on my noir a8?

83. 83 Ehtisham said at 12:24 pm on March 7th, 2013:

@Arslan: No you can’t.

84. 84 Sajid said at 2:44 pm on June 4th, 2013:

Ehtisham bro please help, maine qmobile a8 ka custom rom change kar dia magar backup nhi banaya, ab mujhe orignal rom chahiye jis mein orignal manu of qmobile a8 ka tha plz help, what i do.